Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2016

How to vote when you live overseas

The American government bureaucracy is known to be confusing at times, but I just voted in South Carolina's presidential primary (my home state) and it was very easy...even while living thousands of miles away.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) ensures that military personnel and other citizens living overseas are able to vote.  You can visit the official FVAP website and they will walk you through how to contact your state to easily register and receive your absentee ballot.  In most cases, you are able to receive your ballot and vote electronically.

When I completed the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) and emailed it to my local county clerks office (as directed step-by-step on the FVAP website), they emailed my ballot the next day and I was able to return it right away.

As you get ready to vote, you will need to make sure you vote within the allowed dates as shown in the South Carolina example below:


Even though I do not currently live in the United States, I still pay close attention to politics and want to make sure I continue to hold my leaders accountable.  One day, I will probably move back and I will be proud to say that I continued to vote even while living overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment